I love money. I know you
do too. Everybody loves money. Yet, only a few people admit they do. We pull
out all the stops just to earn a few more. Some work two or more jobs. Others do
some business, even if petty, just to make some more money. Yet, we try so hard
to hide our love of money. I know people who sell mobile phone credit in their
offices to make more money. Interestingly, the office is their primary market.
Thank God our actions betray us.
A friend of mine carried
out a random survey of about 30 of his friends on a whats app group. The question he asked was simple. ‘Do You Love
Money?’ Only two people responded. One was honest enough to admit. The
other said “I don’t love money. I need it”. I call that a disguised
admission. There’s no middle ground here. Either you do or you don’t. Majority
of the group members simply stayed away and I’m least surprised.
In our part of the world,
we have been programmed from birth to believe that money is
the root of all evil. Who wants to love something that is touted as the
root of all evil? Many of us have come a long way from that time. I have grown
to learn that the love of money can also inspire people to do great things. You
may disagree. Perhaps on religious grounds. But I doubt if you’ll disagree with
me on the fact that no one would put in as much effort into a competition with
no prize money as they would in a competition with prize money of a million
dollars.
Entrepreneurs love money.
It gets them to think hard. It pushes them to be innovative. It makes them
think of how to solve problems profitably. Otherwise what's the
motivation? Some of them also admit it in disguise though. They describe it in
all sorts of ways. I spend most of my free time thinking of and analyzing
business ideas. Thinking of what problems I can also solve profitably. I know my 'eureka'
moment is nigh. Bill Gates quit school because he spotted an opportunity.
I'm not sure he knew he was going to be the richest man in the world one
day. But I’m dead sure he knew very well his effort and hard work would pay off
big time. He's retired now but still earns money. Everyone admires him mostly
for his money.
Our orientation on being
motivated to work for more is typically interpreted as greed. It will take a
little more effort to see beyond that. It's not evil to love money. It's evil
to allow your love for money lead you to do evil. Unfortunately, money runs the
world. It has corrupted it. People literally worship it. More value is placed
on money than on human life which is very regrettable. But I guess
that only underscores it’s importance. This is never to say that the end
justifies the means. The end never justifies the means in this regard. What is
wrong is wrong.
But bad people will do
bad anyway. Even when it comes to money. It doesn't make the love of
money evil. You may be familiar with this ‘For the love of money
is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered
from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows’. A great man once said,
money only exposes what you truly are on the inside and at heart. I couldn't
agree with him more. If money corrupts you, then you’re corrupt at
heart. Money only exposed you. In the same light, if the love of money makes you
wander away from your faith, then the money was only a reality check on your
life. If you are corrupt with small money, then obviously you’ll be super
corrupt with more money. A philanthropist at heart will help more people
with more money. Once again Bill Gates is a shining example with the malaria
research he funds.
Don’t blame the money or
the love of it. Blame the person. Like DMX said, guns don’t kill people, people
kill people. I had the opportunity to make about 3000 pounds a fortnight.
I turned down the offer simply because I considered it dirty. I love money,
don't forget.
Albert Camus said “It's
a kind of spiritual snobbery that makes people think they can be happy
without money”. Indeed, there's
nothing wrong with falling in love with something that makes you happy. Too
much money can't be bad. For me, it’s only a guarantee that generations of my
family that will come after me are insured against poverty. The more money I
leave them, the longer the guarantee period. Money can't buy happiness no
doubt. I've heard rich people say that many times. What I’m yet to witness is
a rich man giving up all his money to be happy. They'd rather be
unhappy in comfort.
If Carlos Slim wakes up
one morning to discover he's only as rich as Oprah Winfrey, I’m sure he'll
consider himself poor. If the Nigerian billionaire Dangote wakes up with Kofi Amoabeng of UT's money,
he'll cry his eyes out. Too much of money can't be bad at all as long you can
fight the temptation. Admitting your love of money doesn't make you evil
either.
May be I don’t know what I’m
talking about. May be the basis of my argument and my perception about money are gravely
flawed. May be my perspective is shallow. Or may be for some other reason known to you, I got the whole thing wrong.
Unless you can convince me beyond all reasonable doubt that you’ll let an opportunity to make
a million dollars pass, you’re just like the rest of us who are bold enough to
admit our love of money, only delusional.
Let your love of money
inspire you into greatness. Let it inspire you to be innovative. If you’re
content with just enough of it, don’t think luxury. Luxury is beyond enough. It’s
for us. The one’s bold enough to admit our money love.
No comments:
Post a Comment